Boating Registration & Insurance

1. Registration Basics
Boating Utah Registration Requirements:

  • Current Registration in Utah. All motorboats and sailboats must have proper registration with current registration decals to operate Utah waters legally. For more information on registration and titling, visit the Utah DMV Watercraft page.
  • What is considered a boat? A boat is any type of watercraft capable of transporting a person(s) on the water. Boats such as personal watercraft (PWC), rafts, canoes, kayaks, float tubes, inner tubes, kick boats, and stand-up paddle boards are subject to Utah’s boating laws and rules.
  • Does my boat need to be registered? If your boat has a motor (gas or electric) on it, or if it is a sailboat, it needs to be registered and numbered. If you are visiting Utah (less than 60 days in a calendar year) and your boat is currently registered in your state, you do not need a Utah registration.
  • How do I register my boat? All boat registrations are processed by the Utah State Tax Commission, Division of Motor Vehicles. To find an office near you, visit
  • Does my boat need to be titled? Yes, it is required to be titled if your boat is 1985 or newer. Boats built before 1985 and equipped with a motor of more than 25 horsepower will need to be titled by the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles. For more information on titling, visit the Utah DMV Watercraft page.
  • Decals. Certificates of registration and annual registration decals are obtained by presenting the correct application form, fee, and validated tax certificates to the Utah DMV. Click here to find an office near you.
  • Exceptions to registration.  Canoes, kayaks, and other vessels not propelled by motor or sail. Also, out-of-state residents using Utah waters for 60 or fewer days with proper registration in their state.
  • Keep Certificate On Board. The certificate of registration is required onboard and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer whenever the vessel is in operation.

How to Place Your Decals
Need a visual?

Check out the proper bow/assigned number and registration decal placement.
Remember, you are responsible for the purchase and placement of your bow/assigned numbers.

Utah Boating Bow Numbers

Utah Boating Bow/Assigned Numbers

2. Insurance Basics

Cruise with Coverage. It’s the Law!

  • Each motorboat and personal watercraft (PWC) are required to carry the owner’s or operator’s liability insurance when operated on Utah waters.
  • The minimum insurance requirements are: $25,000-/$50,000 bodily injury/death  – $15,000 property damage or $65,000 combined minimum per accident.
  • Motorboats equipped with engines less than 50 horsepower and all airboats are exempt from this requirement.

Proof of insurance must be carried onboard the motorboat whenever it is in operation. 

Evidence of insurance coverage includes one of the following items:

  • An insurance policy
  • A binder notice
  • Renewal notice
  • Or a card issued by the insurance company

Non-Utah Residents
Registration and Insurance Information

A motorboat owner by a non-Utah resident and registered in the non-resident’s state must meet its state’s insurance requirements or have 90 days to comply with Utah’s liability insurance regulations.


General Questions
Phone: 801-538-5500

1594 West North Temple, suite 100
Salt Lake City, UT 84116

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

The monthly newsletter keeps you updated on Utah’s outdoor community, industry, events, jobs, stewardship opportunities, and more.

Stay up to date on Utah’s outdoor community by signing up here.

Check out past issues of our newsletter here.